Re: Using the network

Subject: Re: Using the network
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:52:28 -0400

With a combination of working files on my local
hard drives and ZIP disks, I was recently getting
rather slack... OK, *VERY* slack... about keeping
my other backups on the network. This is because
they insist that I use their MKS Source Integrity
system.

MKS-SI is designed for software source code,
and the engineers had also used it for their
engineering documents, which are written in Word.

I, of course, use FrameMaker.

All the previous docs were single files, including
embedded graphics.

In Frame, I have multiple chapter and book files,
plus all my graphics are external and imported by
reference.

The last time somebody pressured me, I zipped
up a project (using PKZip, not Iomega ZIP) and
logged it in to MKS. I got complaints about the
ZIPping.

This time, I let a few projects pile up and then, when
I gave in to pressure, I logged everything in as it
lay, including full file structure (original artwork formats,
as well as the formats I had to change 'em to, in order
to import properly).

The brown stuff hit the rotating air-circulatory device.
Not only did I bring the MKS server to its knees
(the physical server... MKS doesn't care how big
a project is), but now there's also moaning about
how un-neat the whole mess is, in their sacred
Source Integrity system.

Ya can't win. Some days, ya can't even break
even. Or, as Lynn sez, "Some days it just doesn't
pay to gnaw through the straps."

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

[snip]

> Another point that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of space
> available for use on the network. Maybe our network is the only
> one that has this problem, but there are times when a file I am
> working on is large enough that the amount of overhead required to
> allow for a backup file and temporary working files exceeds the
> amount of space available on the network drive. When my program hits
> the space limit on the network hard drive, it locks up or asks if I
> want to save without changes. How do those of you who have open
> documents on a network handle this condition?

[snip]

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=