Re: Thoughts on Working With Developers (long)

Subject: Re: Thoughts on Working With Developers (long)
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:37:48 -0400

Jim Burgchardt asked:

I'm curious, how "rough" do most people consider
okay when they're giving an SME a document?

Depends.
Depends on whether the edit happens on my schedule
or on his/hers.

Sometimes I am required to hand off dreck, because I
haven't finished my own work. Usually, that's not because
I originate dreck, but because I often incorporate other
people's text, either nearly-as-is, or simply as a "placeholder"
for when I get around to rewriting that section.

Separate Thought, Related to Thread but not to Question:

Y'know, as valuable as developers are, I find my single
most precious resource are the testers. They write their
own test descriptions late in the game, and then work to
those descriptions. Their docs MUST describe the beast
as it actually works, versus how it was supposed to work,
way back when it was being planned and developed... :-)

Oh... and in case I didn't explicitly say so... I *do* finish
the rewrite and kill the typos before I print for final signoff.

Really.

No, I mean really.

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=