Re: Font favorites

Subject: Re: Font favorites
From: Peter Martin <peterm -at- FOXBORO -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:45:08 +1000

At 12:58 6/04/99 -0700, Mark Dempsey wrote:
>So serifs, if really visible, are the visual cues for letters, and can
>be very effective doing so. Onscreen, however, letters are of so much
>lower resolution that serifs cannot be relied upon to be anything more
>than a blur--hindering their proper function.

The "cues" theory is one: The British Medical Council also once
suggested serifs reduce an "irradiation effect" between lines of
text. Maybe both are right.

But has someone done any research work on the suggestion that screen
serif fonts are worse ? I've been looking for indications on the
web that this might have been tried, but have so far found zilch.
Anyone any references ?

I recently suggested this in this group as a worthwhile research project.
Maybe it has been done ? Anyone ?

--
Peter Martin, Contract Tech. Writer peterm -at- foxboro -dot- com -dot- au
+61 2 9818 5094 (home) 0408 249 113 (mobile) peterm -at- zeta -dot- org -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=