What to do in slack times?

Subject: What to do in slack times?
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:44:03 -0400

Dear Anonymous:

I used to take advantage of the many slow times at Glaxo, the
pharmaceutical giant, by learning new software, relevant tricks and
techniques of our trade, and reading trade magazines. I quickly learned
that management knew I was not busy but wanted to keep me available for
the projects they did have from time to time. I simply got better and
better at my job. This allowed me to negotiate big raises, which made me
very happy. :-)

Cheers.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center

Anonymous User wrote:

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am not in the middle of a crisis, but I do need advice about
> how to handle an on the job situation.
>
> I am working for a terrific company, I am paid well, and I am
> respected for the work I do. See, I told you there was no crisis.
>
> My problem is this ... When work is slow, I don't know what to
> do with myself. I like working under pressure and I feel almost
> dishonest, like I am not working hard enough, when the pressure
> is off. The other problem is boredom. After the tenth week spent
> editing and massaging the same documentation, I start craving
> something new.
>
> Don't get me wrong -- I am not being unproductive. Bugs are
> being fixed in the product and in the documentation. New sections
> are being added now that I have the time to write them. Technical
> details are being fleshed out with the help of the QA and
> technical support departments. The staff are simply maintaining
> the existing (software) product and preparing for the next push.
>
> So, how do you deal with steady, predictable, post-release work?
> What tricks do you employ to add variety to your workday? How
> do you deal with (your own) impatience and desire for front-line
> action?
>
> -Anon

> Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=