Re: FWD: What to do in slack times?

Subject: Re: FWD: What to do in slack times?
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:01:56 -0700

Anonymous wrote:

> So, how do you deal with steady, predictable, post-release work?
> What tricks do you employ to add variety to your workday? How
> do you deal with (your own) impatience and desire for front-line
> action?

<dreamy sigh> Slack time? I only WISH I had slack time! There's this long,
long list of packages I want to learn/get better at, books and articles I
really want to read, topics I want to research on the Internet, etc. My
problem - and really, I've had it most of my life - is that I want to know more
than there's time to learn it in. I can *easily* fill 8 hrs/day with learning
new things that are directly related to my work. THEN I could spend another 8
or so hours/day pursuing interests that aren't directly related to work.

My college degree was in journalism, chosen partially because I wanted to
become a professional writer, and partially because it was the single degree
program that emphasized learning things in other disciplines. I got exposed to
many different courses and ways of thinking, and in so doing learned how
important it is to keep broadening my horizons and that there are far more than
one or two ways to look at some event. So I learned early on the importance of
continuing my education.

There's no reason not to continue that ethic on the job, where situations allow
it.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=