Re: On-line doc conversion tools

Subject: Re: On-line doc conversion tools
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:58:39 -0400

Bob Smith <rs114 -at- TIR -dot- COM> wrote that he is looking into converting to on-line documents.

> Tools that I've looked at include Acrobat, DynaText, ArborText, and
> Word Viewer. Does anyone have any recommendations? We'll be
> converting Word 7 documents.

The easiest for you is to distribute the WordViewer with your documents, as there would be no conversion for you. Of course, people can edit and re-use your documents as they choose, but perhaps that is not an issue for you.

If you anticipate that many of your users don't have Word 7, or you don't want to provide an easily editable version of your documentation, Acrobat is fairly popular. I'm using Acrobat and distributing the free "Acrobat Reader with Search", which allows my users to take advantage of multi-document full-text search (I still have to create the search indices, but the process is fairly automatic). I find that for screen captures and some of my other illustrations, they don't look good on screen (unless magnified greatly), but everything prints beautifully.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280