Re: Size of Manuals

Subject: Re: Size of Manuals
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:41:43 -0700

At 01:21 PM 4/13/99 -0700, Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:
>Actually, the reason why software manuals, at least, are 7x9 is even simpler
>than usability. The standard packaging box is 8x10. The manual fits in the
>box.
>
>I always ask my students why these manuals are this size and I get all sorts
>of fun responses. The truth? It fits in the standard box.

Alas, this begs the question of how the standard box became "standard."

I always heard that the 7x9 page size was IBM's attempt to make pirating
manuals more difficult because the pages were not easily fed into copy
machines.

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=