Re: linking to framed document

Subject: Re: linking to framed document
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:14:09 +0200

On 12-04-1999 15:29 Susan Vineyard wrote:

>But I'm linking from outside the frameset. Somewhere I have to specify the
>framset to use......
>
>AlQuin wrote:
>
>> On 08-04-1999 17:50 Susan Vineyard wrote:
>>
>> >I need to create a link to a specific document on our company Itranet

... it is a single page, isn't it..?

>> >and have it appear in same navigational frame in which the main page

... this single outside page needs to appear in your pageset...doesn't
it..?

>> >appears, so I must control what appears in a named window of the frame

Suppose you have a two-framed page like this:

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| menu | main page |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |

From the menu page you add a link to an outer page to be appeared in the
main page window.

This link is as follows:

<A HREF="outpage.htm" TARGET=main>your outer page</A>

or

<A HREF="outpage.htm" TARGET="main">your outer page</A>

(the quotes around main make no difference to my browser)

On clicking on the menu item in the left window, the desired page appears
in the right window...

But, why are you linking from outside the frameset..??
Can't you import that page in the menu frame first?

>> >with a link. I don't want to use javascript because I have some users
>> >with old technology. Is there a way to do this? I think there must be,
>> >but I can't locate the code.
>> >
>> >Thanks!
>> >
>> >--Susan Vineyard
>> >

>> Suppose your window in which your main page appears has been named MAIN.
>>
>> Just use a linklike this: <A HREF="newpage.htm" TARGET=main>your specific
>> document</A>
>>
>> and your page will appear in the MAIN named window.
>>
>> This also works from other frames in the document.
>>
>> Regards
>> Kees de Bondt
>>
>> AlQuin
>> informationflow-improvement
>> text
>> document
>> business communication
>> total quality
>>
>> * Occasionally, things really do work right (Murphy's law 2)

Hope this helps..

Kees de Bondt

* Write different
* take your Macintosh