Re: The Truth About Silicon Valley

Subject: Re: The Truth About Silicon Valley
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:09:07 -0700

While Silicon Valley is an expensive place to live, I do not think Maurice's
description is accurate. I think it plays up a lot of nonsense rumors about the
Bay Area. I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area and have a lot of friends
there. I am not claiming to be The Master Superior Relocation Expert, but
based on my experience, I think Maurice's post exaggerates a bit.

Yes, housing is expensive, but that depends on where you live. If you expect to
buy a four-bedroom home in Palo Alto next to Standford - think again. However,
Santa Clara or San Jose are not that bad. Yes, housing is more expensive but
not unattainable. Despite what Maurice's friend said, there are not people
running around willing to pay 10% to 25% more than the asking price of a house.
Also, one way to get a cheaper place is to live farther out in the suburbs.
Yeah, the commute will suck, but how is this different from any other
metropolitain city?

As for food prices - they seem normal to me. I spend a lot of time in the Bay
Area and I have never once noticed a disparity of food prices between there and
Seattle, Portland, or LA. I think this is just something people say to induce
fear in people.

The Bay Area is a great place to work. What seems like a hansome offer, may
actually be a very mediocre offer elsewhere. This is something to keep in mind
when looking for work in the Bay Area. Plan to negotiate a salary that is high.
A $50,000 a year salary in South Carolina might be wonderful. In the Bay
Area, it is mediocre.

As for tech writers at homeless shelter. All I can say is that if you are a
skilled high-tech worker and you cannot get a job - you have much bigger
problems than being homeless. The markets are inundadted with high-tech jobs.
Many companies are so desperate for people they are looking into hiring
monkeys. So, for all you writers on the dole, you're not trying hard enough.
You cannot expect a company to send you a check for sitting at home eating
peaches.

Living in the Bay Area is not impossible. It is just not the same as
Pigknuckles, Idaho. Stuff costs more.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.
www.anitian.com

--- Maurice King <benadam -at- CYBERDUDE -dot- COM> wrote:
> During the course of my researching various areas of California as part of a
> plan to relocate there, I made contact with a source in San Francisco that
> gave me an extremely gloomy picture of the entire Bay area that I feel needs
> clarification. For those of you who are located in the Bay area, I would like
> to ask you to reply to me personally off the list.

<<SNIP>>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=