Budgets and Staffing

Subject: Budgets and Staffing
From: Judy Everett <mjeverett -at- UKY -dot- CAMPUSCWIX -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:17:11 -0400

We are in the process of benchmarking our Publications department. We?d like to
determine if there is an industry standard or any models for publication
departments. If you could share your own ideas and knowledge about
organizations, it would be quite helpful.

We are a worldwide printer and solutions company. We develop our publications
in-house with regular and contractual employees. We write publications for a
variety of printer products as well as for software solutions to support our
printers. We concurrently develop publications for new products while updating
announced products. Our hardcopy, online publications, and help files are also
translated for all our product lines.

How many people are typically assigned to a complex project, what are the skills
required, and how long does the project last? We would define a complex project
as follows:
Fast, Network Printer, with 8 ? 10 options, requiring 7 ? 9 publications
(total page count 1700 and 550 graphics), plus Help files (average 350
topics).
Please account for writing, editing, planning and illustration support.
Development time would be 9 months ? 1 year. The project will be
translated
into 6 ? 12 languages.

How many people are typically assigned to a simple project, what are the skills
required, and how long does the project last? We would define a simple project
as follows:

Small personal type printer, 4 ? 6 months development cycle, 1 or 2 small
publications (total page count 200 with 50 graphics), plus Help files
(total 50 topics). Please account for writing, planning, illustration,
and editing support. The project will be translated into 19 languages.

Do you develop your publications in-house or utilize an outside vendor?

Do you translate your publications (or have them translated at a vendor)? If
so, into how many languages? Are the translated publications delivered on the
same schedule as the English publications?

Please reply to me at the email address below. Thanks in advance to all your

Sincerly,

Judy Everett
mjeverett -at- uky -dot- campuscwix -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000