Re: FWD: Documenting products integrated with your own

Subject: Re: FWD: Documenting products integrated with your own
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:57:03 -0400

Robin Whitmore [mailto:robin -dot- whitmore -at- CYGENT -dot- COM]
> My personal experience has been if you document something, you're
> responsible for any problems users might have when following that
> documentation. Therefore, if you document how to tune up a database or
> application server, you will most likely receive tech support calls
> regarding those procedures. And since SilverStream and Oracle are best
> equipped to handle those calls, you should leave the
> documentation up to them.

Yet another advantage of third-party books. The author doesn't have
to be concerned with where one product stops and the next stops.

I've seen what Robin is talking about happen. I don't know about
legal responsibility, but if it's in your book, you WILL get calls on it,
and if you want to keep your customers, you have to handle those calls
to a certain extent. Maybe just referring the caller to the appropriate
company (in my case, many of the callers had already tried the other
company, but called us because our support was better) but it still
uses resources. I suspect we sold more software as a result.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=