FWD: Is multi-tasking dead?

Subject: FWD: Is multi-tasking dead?
From: Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:07:32 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Question: Is multi-tasking dead?

I work for a large company in a documentation group that uses formatters,
editors, graphic artists, writers, and recently SMEs who can't do any of
the above.

When I was hired years ago, multi-tasking was the new thing. Everyone
was encouraged to learn the software, write, do graphics, edit, etc.
It was thought to be very cost-effective, at least in my particular group.
It was a different story for other groups, who insisted on keeping the
divisions of typesetter, writer, editor, and illustrator. While my group
excelled in multi-tasking, the other groups were in a time warp refusing
to allow everyone to learn new software because they were only supposed
to do their particular job and pass the document on to the next queue.
I've never understood this philosophy. It's fine for everyone to have a
job description, but what if someone leaves or is just out of pocket and
the document sits in queue when it should be "working". Shouldn't other
members of the team be proficient in all skills in case they are needed?
Well, our team leader at the time thought so and encouraged all of us
to learn to do everything. Not only that, it became clear that writers
often did their jobs better while writing in the S/W, organizing, editing,
and formatting concurrently.

We had a good solid team that produced excellent documentation over many
years, but nothing lasts forever. Ultimately, the manager left,
the original team began to break up and go different ways, upper management
changed significantly, and now several team leaders later with almost
all new people, the policy of compartmentalizing is back. Many
writers we have hired recently do not know the software and are fine
with not formatting or editing. A few writers like to do graphics, but that
is forbidden in no uncertain terms; only the illustrators do graphics.
There does exist a group here that deals mainly with web development
and web documents. Of course they are cutting edge and laugh at the
"old ways" of the documentation groups that don't progress with the times.
But then, they are concerned mainly with online documents and not
hardcopy, which we still do a great deal of.

The old school belief is that the company is saving alot of money by
comparmentalizing each job. They feel they should not pay a writer to
format, edit, or do graphics, because usually the writer is paid more
than the other positions. I believe this is a flawed determination
and that management just doesn't understand what writing is all about.
I won't argue that the graphic artists can do the best illustrations;
I don't even want to do them, but to me, formatting is an integral part
of writing the document, espeically in the early stages of development.
When you plan, organize, and write the material (especially user material),
formatting is involved...you can't separate them. Editing also is integral,
though I am completely FOR a separate editing position in large companies
where there are many style guides to conform to and many standards to
enforce. Editors are EXTREMELY helpful, but I would not dream of dropping
a sloppy mess of a document on the editor's desk. The document should go
to the editor in it's best form before being ready to print.

Did multi-tasking just hit a high note in the beginning, then go the way
of the dinosaur? Do other large high-tech companies practice the same
policy as we do? I am sure that small companies don't have the money
to hire so many different positions, but I wonder if all large companies
believe this to be the most efficient way to work.

Is there a happy middle ground? I would appreciate any feedback on this
issue so I can either shut up and quit swimming against the tide or
push for change.

Many thanks

Name Withheld

Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=