Re: Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing
From: Rebecca Merck <Rebecca -dot- Merck -at- ONESOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:30:01 -0400

Elisabeth said:

If you're sending a .doc file, the printer has to load Word, load your
file, and print from Word. If you send them a postscript file,
especially if they're running a DocuTech and you use their DocuTech
postscript driver while you're paging your file, you can see exactly
what you're going to get back.

My reply:

Likewise, as I understand it my printer takes the .pdf file straight to the
DocuTech, and rather than having to work with the .ps files (perhaps there
are better tools available for viewing .ps now than there were when this was
an issue for us), you can see exactly what you'll get on each page,
something that was not true when we were working with the .ps files a few
years ago. And conveniently, it's something we were going to need to create
ANYHOW! But in short, both are ways of avoiding having the printer have to
load Word, load the file, and print from Word. I'm hoping Xiang Li can find
a more effective way to work with her printer, either way!

-Rebecca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=