Compiled HTML File Problems

Subject: Compiled HTML File Problems
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- ZKS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:52:02 -0400

Greetings, all!

A few months ago I purchased the latest edition of the MS Manual of Style
for Technical Publications, which included a CD ROM that contained the MoS
in HLP and CHM formats. As a bonus, the CD also contained the MS Computer
Dictionary (in CHM format), which has been a very useful tool.

Recently, though, I have found that the computer dictionary only opens a
window that displays a graphic of the book's cover. The MoS opens a
two-paneled window that allows me to search the contents and works properly
(the way the computer dictionary used to work). When I try to open the
computer dictionary file in the MoS's window, the browser (MS IE 4.0 version
4.72.3110) simply opens a new window, repeating the previously mentioned
problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with these (or other) compiled HMTL
Help files? Is there a way I can edit the compiled HTML file (my primary
HTML editor is HomeSite)?

I have installed, uninstalled, and re-installed the dictionary a number of
times, and am rapidly approaching my wit's end. Please send replies directly
to me and I will post a summary if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul "RTFM Guy" Branchaud (paul -at- zeroknowledge -dot- com)
Lead Technical Writer, Zero-Knowledge Systems, Inc.

No Duckman, NOT irresistible - there's just enough to intrigue ONE woman,
the rest is up to you. Given your proven record of mind-bogglingly
destructive excess, we felt that giving you any more than that, would be
like giving Michael Jackson a drum of peanut oil and some cub scouts.
Allegedly.
-- Cornfed

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=