Re: FWD: Stock Options for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: FWD: Stock Options for Tech Writers
From: Sarah Stegall <stegall -at- TERAYON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:39:19 -0700

Anonymous User wrote:

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> I'm in the process of interviewing at several companies for tech.
> writing positions. At least two companies have offered me stock options
> as part of my compensation. Is this becoming more common?

Every employer I've had as a tech writer has
offered me stock options as an incentive to hire
on.

If any other
> tech. writers have received such offers, how much weight or importance
> have you given to stock options?

I gave major weight to it. Stock options are some
people's only way, short of winning the lottery,
to get together enough capital to afford a down
payment on a home here. Make sure you have a
reasonable option price, though. If the company
you're considering is trading at, say, $10 a
share, don't accept an "option price" of $8.50.
It's not worth your trouble.

Stock options are a gamble. If you're a gambler,
I'd take the risk. If you're not, I'd ask for
actual stock rather than options, or better yet,
some other benefit.

--
Sarah Stegall || Senior Technical
Writer