Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:08:24 PDT

I create technical communication documents for complex buisness
software systems. Contract software technical writers (or at least
all that I have know) are basically wordprocessors. And they are
locked into that mode by the very nature of most businesses.

How so? It goes like this:

1.) Software technical writing is, in the main, specification of
procedure.

2.) Knowledge of procedure is turf. And most end users and end user
knowledgeable analysts/developers strongly defend "their" turf.
(Beleive me, this is often the case at even higher levels within an
organization.)

3.) Contractors are outsiders. People are most defensive of their
turf against outsiders. Therefore, contractors are setup to have a
very difficult time gathering and (especially) verifying procedure.
Often, it is impossible to do such.

What acctually plays out on contract assignments? You may simply re-
hash existing developer (non user focused) notes. Or you may type
up what people want you to know - which is always alot about HOW the
software works and very lean on WHAT the software does. (Note: End
users want to know WHAT the software does, not HOW it works.)

End result - as a contractor, the technical communicator's
professional development is derailed. You move away from an end user
(task oriented) approach. You forget that such an approach even
exists. Unfortunately, I know of many contractor technical writers
(many with a very good accademic backgrounds) who believe poor
technical communications is "standard" technical communications.

Contractors do make good money. Some very good money. However, they
pay a heavy price for that money.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=