FW: Hiding what the software does and how?

Subject: FW: Hiding what the software does and how?
From: Philomena Hoopes <PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:24:19 -0400

Hi, all --

This is exactly the area that our Technical Communications team is
discussing: given a massive data warehouse, and an equally complex
metadatabase, how can the user define a query to retrieve the correct data
as precisely as possible? I'm now designing the manual that will describe
the necessary concepts and strategies. It's quite a challenge, as I've seen
no similar manuals up to this point.

I asked Geoff offline whether he could recommend any books, article, SIGs,
etc., that deal with this. His suggestion was:
J.T. Hackos and J.C. Redish. 1998. User and task analysis for interface
design. Wiley, New York, ISBN 0-471-17831-4

I'd like to put the same question out to the group, also. This seems to be a
hot topic, but a relatively new one...has anyone seen any good resources
that cover it?

Thanks!

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com
VIPS Healthcare Information Solutions, Inc.
(410) 832-8330 ext 845

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=