Re: engineers

Subject: Re: engineers
From: David Dvorkin <DDvorkin -at- FRXSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:21:57 -0600

> Hello, everyone! This is my first post to the list, so please be kind.
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me the current state of the
> relationship
> between writers and the esteemed wizards, engineers, in
> industry. I ask because
> I work with a smart young woman, graduating soon with a
> degree in Computer
> Engineering. Yesterday she ranted on Tech Writers as
> "useless, overpaid, and
> not altogether capable" of understanding what she and her
> peers do. Is this
> typical? Or is this simply the musings of a naive young
> intellect, without
> exposure to the real world? Just hoping it's different in real life.
>
> Graham Fredrickson

In my experience, it varies from company to company. Where I now
work, relations are cordial, and the developers make a great effort
to keep us informed of changes, help us when we have problems,
make sure we have the latest version, etc. In other places, I've run
into attitudes more like the one you describe. In the latter case, I
thought it had to do with the developers in question being second
rate and consequently insecure.

It could be simply that the young woman you work with is a twit.

David Dvorkin
Documentation Lead
FRx Software Corporation
mailto:ddvorkin -at- frxsoft -dot- com