N -at- ming symbols? Just s -at- y no!

Subject: N -at- ming symbols? Just s -at- y no!
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:18:20 -0400

I missed this thread's start, so I'm probably replying out of context,
but it occurs to me that it wouldn't be very useful to try to come up
with the name for a symbol that you use in your documentation
(though it's a perfectly useful exercise, perhaps, in wordplay and
etymology).

If you need to describe a symbol in docs, present it as the symbol
and don't worry about naming it. "Type the @ symbol" is much
clearer than "type the 'at' symbol" or "type the script a with a
swash around it" because the @ relates much more strongly and
visually to the symbol the user will seek on the keyboard. By
avoiding naming it, you avoid introducing a whole layer of
abstraction between the symbol and its physical representation,
which strikes me as a very good thing indeed. Moreover, this
approach avoids obvious problems with regional differences in the
naming of symbols; for example, # is variously called the
octothorpe, the pound sign, the number sign, and the hash mark,
and picking any one is sure to confuse some portion of your
audience, even if only briefly.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=