Re: HTML Help: cutting out users?

Subject: Re: HTML Help: cutting out users?
From: Alfred Barten <barten -at- ORRQMS2 -dot- GDDS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:01:05 -0400

At 05:24 PM 4/23/99 -0400, Atticus Fisher wrote:
>To All:
>
>I was wondering what the conventional wisdom is regarding HTML help and
>system reqirements of users' computers. Our software is used primarily by
>the banking industry which is notoriously conservative in terms of computer
>hardware and software (ie--Old School). I'm worried that by choosing to use
>RoboHTML I will cut out a considerable swath of bankers who are still using
>Win 3.1 and/or don't have browsers installed. I guess I might be answering
>my own question here by saying that I should stick with RoboHelp, but I
>thought some of you folks might have some insight on the limitations of HTML
>help. Unfortunately, Blue Sky was of no great assistance, as they no longer
>provide phone support for our version of RoboHelp (5.0) and sales person was
>unreachable.

As I understand it, RoboHelp lets you deliver your product as WebHelp,
which is not browser-specific or platform-specific. The end user does have
to have a browser installed, however. HTML Help is IE-specific, so the end
user must have IE installed. I haven't had occasion to use WebHelp but have
read some not-so-encouraging comments about it here on the list. Assuming
your end users are all using Windows 3.x or higher, delivering WinHelp is
the way to go. All of my work is in WinHelp, which has at least one feature
that HTML-based systems don't have (or at least not as effectively):
pop-ups. I make extensive use of pop-ups because they appear and disappear
quickly and are sized to the content (i.e., they're attractive).

Al Barten
Tech Writer
GDDS
Pittsfield, MA