Re: Foreign language translation of Winhelp rtfs

Subject: Re: Foreign language translation of Winhelp rtfs
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:27:00 -0400

Hallo:

Since you are the sole writer, I think your company would want you up to
your neck in the translation effort. Personally, if I wanted a job to be
done right, wanted to save re-work, and wanted to save a lot of costly
trial-and-error, I would not want to just handing off files.

It is, of course, possible that your company has undertaken to translate the
GUI, that your company has employed authors who are professional writers in
their native tongue, and authors who are familiar with on-line help and the
source files and macros. However, because I have seen it before, I sense
that your employer has a set of secretaries and sales folk lined up to do
the translation, the help codes will get damaged, and the re-work and time
spent will be tremendous. But, hey, I'm cynical <g>.

I've noticed that while many recognize writing in English is a skill, and
that particular training, experience, and education are needed to hone that
skill, those same folks automatically assume that anyone who hails from a
foreign land is automatically capable of authoring in their native tongue.
It's amusing to notice this and even more amusing to point it out to those
who make this mistake. Just as Americans can do poorly in school with
English language skills and writing, so too can Italians do poorly with
Italian language skills and writing . . ..

If 'twere me, and I cared, I'd ask all the necessary questions to get
involved in or feel satisfied with the upcoming translation effort. Please
let us know what plans were made and the direction your company took. I am
holding out hope that I will hear of a company that did things the right way
the first time.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=