Re: Foreign language translation...

Subject: Re: Foreign language translation...
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:40:06 -0500

I suggest getting a good book to give you the background
to advise those who are "just doing it" without any
understanding of the process. Translations can be complex
projects in themselves, never mind how you will maintain
the English/source docs along with the translated docs.
It's not usually just a "one shot deal"--translate 'em
and forget 'em.

Nancy Hoft's book is very good:

Nancy Hoft. (1995). _International Technical Communication_,
NY:John Wiley and Sons.
ISBN 0-471-03743-5

I would strongly recommend buying a couple of copies, one
for yourself and at least one for the people who are sending
the docs to the sales folks. It doesn't sound like they are
thinking it through, asking questions and planning for the
future with the intent to avoid BIG potential headaches.

Good luck,
Betsy Maaks
reply to: bmaaks -at- tellabs -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=