Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?

Subject: Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?
From: Marci Abels <maa5906 -at- CCP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:47:17 -0500

Thank you Rebecca. It is, as far as I am concerned as a technical writer, an
issue of reader perception. I'm not particularly offended by the use of a
generic 'he' - though I do recall as a young girl finding it odd that I was
included in a masculine reference. My problem with using the generic 'he' is
that it does create a problem for some readers. If I can avoid that problem
and still be clear, why would I want to do otherwise? In the question as it
was cited, work hours seems to be more descriptive than man hours in the
first place, so why argue against it?

Marci Abels
Technical Writer, Skyjack, Inc.