Re: Wizards..a simple survey

Subject: Re: Wizards..a simple survey
From: lak <lak -at- NEWPOINTTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:05:45 -0400

Wizards are a point of contention in my company, or at least they were. The
Sales team stuck to a Wizard label for a utility that was anything but,
until I flat out refused to keep calling it a Wizard. Didn't make a big deal
out of it, just changed the name to a more realistic representation of what
the tool did.

A wizard should be nothing less than a series of questions you answer in a
graphical window, that cause the associated program to configure, load, or
direct you to something based upon your responses.

The software / GUI developer should write them, but they should be tested by
QA and documentation to make sure that not only do they carry out the
correct tasks based upon response, but also that the end results match the
expectations of the user (syntax AND semantics)!

---Laurin A. Kinville
Supervisor, Technical Documentation
Newpoint Technologies, Inc.
(formerly C-Grams, Inc.)