Re: User friendly term for Metadata

Subject: Re: User friendly term for Metadata
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:43:23 -0400

The handy technical writing glossary at
http://www.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/glossary.shtml#M defines Metadata as:

"Metadata
Information about data in a document. For example, the name of
the author."

Apparently, "metadata" has become the cool, obtuse, and abbreviated
successor to confusing terms such as document, file, field, variable,
name, label, attributes, and properties.

Mom once challenged me to "Learn at least one new thing every day."
"Mom, I learned about 'metadata' today. It was an accident, honest."
(Grin.)

I worry about the future of our country when someone invents a need
to define/document the data about metadata.

Roy

Beth Agnew wrote:

> Trying to find a more user friendly term for metadata might lead to
> inaccuracy because I don't think the term can be sufficiently deconstructed.
> Metadata as "data about data" is pretty easy for users to wrap their minds
> around, especially if you give a few examples. Sometimes people just have to
> learn new words.
>
> When we talk about metadata in our documentation, we explain that every data
> item has certain attributes, such as a file name, file size, location, and
> so on. Once users connect the idea of data having characteristics that can
> be catalogued, they "get" metadata fairly quickly.
>
> --Beth
> Beth Agnew
> Manager, Information Development
>
> InSystems Technologies Inc.
> 65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
> Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
> mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com
>
> See my friendly face at:
> http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/bute/52/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=