Niggardly

Subject: Niggardly
From: Michael Gos <mgos -at- LEE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:50:58 -0500

Laurin writes:

>Perception
>is the thing.

Boy I hope that is not now, nor never will be the case. If it were, it
would put the onus for communication solely on the audience and completely
reduce the roles of speaker/writer and media. It is not possible to
predict perception in every case, and even when we have reason to suspect a
particular reception, we are often wrong. (In the 60s, my Polish father
loved to tell Polish jokes. Today, my blonde, corporate warrior wife loves
to tell blonde jokes)

If perception is the thing, the speaker/writer no longer has the tool
needed to communicate (a common language). A some point, there must be an
agreed upon standard language or communication ceases to exist. If every
word is subject to perception...

Dr. Michael W. Gos
Department of English and Communications
Lee College
Baytown, Texas 77522
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=