Re: Preference: One Big Manual or a Bunch of Smaller Ones?

Subject: Re: Preference: One Big Manual or a Bunch of Smaller Ones?
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:29:31 -0400

Kevin (other Kevin...) said:

---------- begin --------
My question is this: Would an end user rather have a large document that
contains lots of information in a format that is hard to use and find the
necessary data, or would a user prefer to have smaller documents where the
information is easily accessible? My assumption is that the user would
rather
have something that is useful, hence the small documents.

---------- end ----------

I might prefer separate documents, but it depends
on where and how they'll be used.

One concern is that new users might often come
along and need to set up and learn to use the
beast. Small, separate docs are easier to
separate and lose.

Would it make sense to re-write as separate docs,
but to publish as one big book?

Do you have the budget to include card-stock
separators for the sections, with big thumb-tabs?
If not, you could achieve some of the effect with
edge-bleeds.

Also, when they finally DO lose the manual for
the ultra-centrifuge (or whatever), they can
re-order and need not worry about anything other
than "the book that goes with model XYG".

On the third hand, you could take into account
the conditions or setting in which the machine
will be used. If its frame includes a slot or
rack to hold clipboards and notepads, then you've
got a built-in argument for separate small docs...

If users will be standing, with no safe or dry
place to lay an open tome, then something light
and portable is obviously recommended.

Sorry. I'll stop, now.

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentant chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=