at a crossroads HTML versus WinHelp

Subject: at a crossroads HTML versus WinHelp
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:52:09 -0400

Hallo:

My company currently provides WinHelp on-line help. I am at a point where I
can lead the charge, all 40-leagues of it, into the guns of HTML help. This
is my call. Should I do it?

1. We have a captive audience who are necessarily bound to the Microsoft OS
and product line.

2. WinHelp produces two files, the HLP and CNT files. I like this. These are
usually small.

3. HTML help seems to produce numerous HTML files plus numerous separate
graphics files. I know HTML and assume there is no way around this. I don't
like this much because I sense there could be a document-file-management
issue.

4. Do HTML help and associated necessary files use more hard-drive space
than WinHelp files? Anyone have any experience with this? Hard drive space
is an issue for my customers.

5. Can HTML help files be installed on a server and accessed from a client
via a network? Does this work well? Anyone have any experience with this?

Okay, thoughts on HTML versus WinHelp considering a timeframe of the next
three years and assuming I have the tools, time, and experience to get it
done.

I know this has been discussed before, and I have looked at the archives,
but I am also looking for an updated view. Please email me directly if you
want to keep this discussion off the list.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=