Re: UNIX vs. Unix

Subject: Re: UNIX vs. Unix
From: Bill Marcotte <billm -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:39:58 -0400

It seems to me that the lowercase Unix is entrenched as a generic term while
the uppercase UNIX is used when talking about specific systems. Can this be
the case or am I missing something? For e.g., if I write:

"Linux is a Unix clone"

I'm within my rights to use lowercase. But if I write:

"If you are using the Digital UNIX system..."

You would be obliged to use uppercase UNIX.

Bill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=