trademarks

Subject: trademarks
From: BILL MURDICK <MURDICK -at- CUP -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:09:53 -0400

I find the discussion of trademarks interesting. I have always
assumed that it was the duty of the company to use a trademark symbol to
notify others that the name is propietary, and it was the obligation of
writers to capitalize such terms (e.g. Zip Drive, not zip drive) in recognition
of the fact that term is the name of a product (a proper noun). I write
textbooks and my publisher wants me to use trademark symbols, though I don't
see why.
By the way, can anyone clarify for me the significance of TM. I
have read that it means that the product name "may be registered on the
state level." That seems awfully vague to me.
--Bill Murdick
murdick -at- cup -dot- edu / murdick -at- bellatlantic -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=