Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:55:41 -0700

My vote would be to listen to the person at Franklin Covey and avoid the
use of contractions.

Why?

Accountants live and work in an environment that is pretty formalized,
traditional, conservative, and slow to change. The more seniority one
has in these offices the more they fit the preceding statement. The
person with the authority to purchase your software is probably one of
their more senior people. That person is used to "formal" writing and
contractions will be distractions. Write for your audience.

Contractions cause problems with internationalization and translations.
Does your company restrict sales to the U.S. only?

My Mom was a seventh grade English teacher. I got a lot more that one
year's worth of lecturing on this (and other issues). :-)

HTH

-John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=