Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:27:35 -0700

> What is your stand on the use of contractions in software manuals?

You know, every once in a while a subject comes up on this list that makes
me think "Didn't we resolve this years ago?" It's been at least 10 years
since anyone anywhere I've worked has raised this issue. We take it for
granted that contractions are, in most cases, the way to go, no mattter who
the audience is. Makes the writing less stilted. It also allows for a bit of
a nudge when you want to be more forceful, for example, "do not" instead of
"don't," as in:

Do not listen to the obsolete, stick-in-the-mud, mossback advice being
offered on this list about contractions. Use them. Except "'em." I mean,
there are limits.

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=