Re: cannot vs. can not

Subject: Re: cannot vs. can not
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:39 -0400

Can not, cannot, can't.

It's not a "right or wrong" thing, just a formality thing. If you have a
house rule against contractions of any kind (see that other thread
raging right now), then you have an easy solution, and can revert to
"can not". I think the "cannot" spelling, (perfectly acceptable in most
general writing since long before I can remember) is a nod in the
direction of typical speach patterns where no pause at all occurs
between the two words (we just ride that "n" right on into the "ot").

So, you will probably have to settle your dispute by some sort of
contest, or duel, because I don't think you are going to find an
authoritative answer. :-)

Chris

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=