Re: QUERY: STC members in Germany

Subject: Re: QUERY: STC members in Germany
From: Simon North <north -at- SYNOPSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 08:35:44 -0700

Andreas,

I'm not exactly a typical case since I'm English, I live in The
Netherlands and commute to work in Germany where I work for an
American company. I am a Fellow of the British ISTC and until
recently I was also a member of the Dutch STIC. I've been a
member of the STC for quite a few years and would definitely
recommend it. The national organizations can keep you appraised
of local issues, in the Dutch case, with less than a 100 members
and a technical level the equivalent of National Enquirer, your
mileage may vary, but the UK's ISTC have a status as a
professional organization that actually surpasses that of the STC
and they do run some excellent conferences. The STC will however
give you a wider view of the issues and a technical depth you are
not likely to find elesewhere.

Payment is easy via credit card, publications arrive on time (I wish
Wired magazine was as efficient!).

A local chapter can never do any harm (the France chapter has, I
believe, been pretty successful) but in general the issues of
internationalization have meant that (even) the STC has been
forced to take a less "American" view of technical communication.

The bottom line is join, you'll never regret it.

Simon North FISTC ARAeS AMIEE MIPRE
Senior Member STC
Aachen, Germany but mailing from California

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=