Re: UNIX vs Unix

Subject: Re: UNIX vs Unix
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:45:09 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dianne [SMTP:DianneP -at- PITNET -dot- NET]
> Sent: Thursday, May 13, 1999 10:29 AM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: UNIX vs Unix

Dianne posted about a superior who insists on lower case for all trademarks,
despite having received legal warnings to cease doing so.

Yeesh. This superior of yours doesn't happen to be somewhat portly and have
two pointy tufts of hair sticking straight up in Satan-like fashion, does
he?

> Anyway, if anyone remembers this Web site (I can't remember who
> originally posted it), please repost or send it to me privately to
> porter -at- telepro -dot- com -dot- Thanks!

Sure thing. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group, is always
spelled in all caps and is never used generically. The exact details of
proper trademark usage are found here:

http://www.opengroup.org/trademarks.htm

Take care,

Scott
(toying with dressing up as the Pointy-Haired Boss for work next Hallowe'en,
as he has the rotundity and the hair)

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=