Re: Units of Scroll

Subject: Re: Units of Scroll
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:06:27 -0400

On 5/13/1999 5:37 PM, Kathy Ellis (kathy -at- TIBINC -dot- COM) wrote:

>Moving by "page" is equivalent to clicking in the gray area of a
>Windows scroll bar. Moving by "unit" is equivalent to clicking the scroll
>arrow on the Windows scroll bar.
>
>What I'd like to be able to say is, "Use the yada, yada command to move the
>map by ..........(the little unit of scrolling)."

If the user's already familiar with the feature elsewhere, use the same
terminology to avoid confusion. Using that reasoning, the wording would
be:

"To scroll the map to the right, use the Scroll Right command."

Any computer user (past the novice, "what's a window?" stage) know's how
to scroll... it's among the first five lessons of any computer tutorial,
along with clicking and dragging.

Also, note that word-processing manuals don't bother saying "To scroll
down in one-line increments, do this.", they simply say "To scroll down,
do this."

Just a thought... why make it more complicated?

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=