Re: What to do in slack times?

Subject: Re: What to do in slack times?
From: write -at- FREEWWWEB -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:52:57 -0500

I'll second that. And although you may think it has little to do with
technical writing, believe me, when you need your machine to write, the
last thing you want is the Blue Death screen.

I will add one more significant thing however, if you do go as far to
format your drive, of course BACKUP, but then RE-PARTITION! How fast can
you find your reference book on a shelf of 10 books? Okay, now how fast at
Barnes & Nobles? Repeat 20 times a day with a different book. So it is with
your hard disk--the larger the partition, the harder the drive works for
every transaction it performs. If you want to improve performance, and
have the time to do it, this is a great measure to accomplish--my
recommendation: no bigger than 1 gig partitions, put you frequent docs
someplace other than C:, and DEFRAG often.

I would be happy to assist (for a fee) anyone who may be a bit shy on
technical knowledge required to accomplish this successfully.

At 03:48 PM 4/9/99 -0400, Horn, Matthew wrote:
>The best thing I ever did in slack times can be summed up in one command
>line:
>
>format c:

LRMB Associates mailto:lrmba -at- usa -dot- net
P.O. Box 530007, DFW-Metroplex, Texas 75053-0007

"A Voice in the Write Direction"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=