Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: Peter Martin <peterm -at- FOXBORO -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:02:12 +1000

I just wrote, in an earlier post, in part:

> Old and well-used languages are in a perpetual state of what you
> call "degeneration". Take that English classic that begins:

> "Whenne that Aprille with its shoures soote..."

Maybe it just adds to the point, but I just didn't get that
right, because in most versions I can find (not all!), it says:

"Whanne that April with his shoures sote
The droughte of March hath perced to the rote. "

Not that that's really my fault, after all.
A big problem with some of these old writers is that
they just couldn't spell, either.... :-)

--
Peter Martin, Contract Tech. Writer peterm -at- foxboro -dot- com -dot- au
+61 2 9818 5094 (home) 0408 249 113 (mobile) peterm -at- zeta -dot- org -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=