Re: bitmaps in pdfs

Subject: Re: bitmaps in pdfs
From: Jim Aikens <jaikens -at- ZOOMIT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:48:02 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Moore, Tracey <TMoore -at- PARKERVISION -dot- COM>

>I created a pdf using the PDF writer in Word. The doc contained a ton
of
>screen shots. The pdf displays the screens shots very badly. They're
>almost unreadable. In Word they look great.

I presume you are simply copying windows to the clipboard and then
pasting them directly into Word. If so, with versions of Adobe Reader
before the new 4.0, you may have to accept the fact that they display
badly but print well. Reader 4 does a much better job of displaying
embedded bitmaps -- although not as good as in Word, they are readable.
In earlier readers you can zoom up 133% (which just happens to be 96/72)
although if the bitmaps have been resized, the zoom factor will have to
be too.

The beta version of Reader 4 was available from Adobe for free download.
I haven't yet seen the full Acrobat 4 but I have heard that it allows
for different optimizations in creating the PDF files -- for Print or
for Screen, but not, alas, for both at the same time.

jim aikens

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=