Re: bitmaps in pdfs

Subject: Re: bitmaps in pdfs
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:56:31 -0400

I have had a similar problem, but there are solutions without having
to purchase new products:

1) Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0. I found that my
current screenshots (which look bad in Reader 3) look fantastic in
Reader 4.0, without needing to upgrade to Exchange 4.0.

The rest of these points are only relevant if your screenshots don't
look good in Reader 4 (or if they don't print clearly in either Reader
3 or 4).

2) In Distiller, make sure that you are not using any "lossy"
compression on images (i.e., zip compression is OK. on
monochrome images, CCITT group 4 is also OK in my experience).
I think the optimization "improvements" in Exchange 4 are just that
they give you some pre-configured optimization settings by
choosing print/on-screen/etc. to prevent some of the errors people
are currently making in selecting optimizations.

3) If you are not happy with your screen capture utility, I
recommend the free "Printkey" screen capture that you can
download from http://www.geocities.com/~gigaman
I use version 4.01 (there is a new version in Beta, but there are still
bugs being worked out).

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=