Re: Writing vs. Testing

Subject: Re: Writing vs. Testing
From: "Kulis, Carene" <Carene -dot- Kulis -at- WESTGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:33:02 -0500

I do not believe the QA process should be the major part of tech writer's
job. Sure, a tech writer goes through their own QA processes, such as
reporting bugs and noting any fixes which should be made (especially when
documenting a UI). And of course you must play around with the product,
sometimes over and over again until it becomes monotonous. It is in the
course of this monotony where you go through the QA process.

However, it sounds to me like you were doing a QA person's job. I have never
been given a test script. If I were you I would find the process
mind-numbing as well and would have also said something about it. In my last
contract, I was rewriting a few manuals. The company then asked me, as a
separate assignment, could I QA their product. At no time was I expected to
do this together with the writing process.

So, to answer your question: (IMO) Don't allow yourself to get used to this.
Everyone should know how to QA to help with the writing process, but you are
a Technical Writer not a QA person.
Let them show you the door, most likely someone else will open one for you.

Carene

Carene Kulis
carene -dot- kulis -at- westgroup -dot- com
716-231-6052

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=