Re: Writing vs. Testing

Subject: Re: Writing vs. Testing
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:00:56 PDT

Rebecca Merck wrote (in response to a question asking if TWs need to be
software testers):

And let's be honest -- if I wanted to be a tester, I'd have applied for a
job in QA, right? The skill sets are different, the professional
experiences are different, and the best of tech writers without a QA
background is the lowliest of testers (as Fred experienced).

Tony Markatos responds:

I disagree. The primary task of a (software) technical writer is to gain a
clear, concise, and systematic understanding of the essential tasks that the
end user performs with the application. This is exactly same as the primary
task of a end user software tester. The skill sets (and experiences had in
obtaining such skill set) are the same. A technical writer with this skill
set will be the highest level software QA person.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=