Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply

Subject: Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:26:27 -0700

> To be sure, most manuals and books start their
> chapters on old-numbered =
> pages, but I am going to say that is more of a
> cultural thing than a =
> usability thing. And cultures can and do change. If

It is a usability issue with me for two reasons.

1) If I'm looking for the start of a chapter, I let
the pages "rifle" through my fingers, kinda like a
deck of cards. I do it with the pages facing up and
from the back of the book. This lets me view the
odd-number side of the pages. If the chapter started
on the other side, I'd go past the chapter without
knowing that the chapter started.

2) If I created the document and it is printed two
sided and I need to photocopy the chapter for internal
distribution, copiers get "all kinds of confused" if
there isn't the correct combination and format of
pagination.

Could I accomodate both of these issues? Sure. But
why? For mine or someone elses sensibilities? Certain
things are just fine the way they are and there are so
many other much more worthwhile windmills to tilt at.

> you can design =
> something well, and let your design speak for
> itself, people are going to =
> find it usable, no matter where you start your
> chapters.

===
John Posada
Western Union International