Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply

Subject: Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:48:50 -0500

"Parks, Beverly" wrote:

> I agree. But that's the only valid justification I've heard so far.
> Distribution of documentation in binders also seems to be a fading method of
> publishing, though I'm sure there are some industries that still use it
> heavily, such as heavy machinery or something. Heck, hard copy documentation
> - period - is a fading method of publishing!

Bev,

Maybe in your field, but the TELCO documentation I write has to be printed out
at some point--otherwise the people out in the field installing the pedlocks,
remote terminals, etc. wouldn't be able to use it! And it's most logical to
package the document with the product so it will be there when it's needed. That
means paper for us. I have also supplied the documents in PDF on CD-ROM, and
e-mailed PDF files to customers at their request, but at this point I have
really no reason to have them available any other way (as help files or as HTML,
though I can do both).

I think of it like the manual for my VCR or my T.V. I may not need it ever, but
I'd be angry if it wasn't there.

Just a little reminder that not all of us are writing software documentation, or
even documentation that should be on-line.

Nora
Senior Technical Writer, Charles Industries, Ltd.
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=