Re: Intentionally left blank

Subject: Re: Intentionally left blank
From: Rebecca Merck <Rebecca -dot- Merck -at- ONESOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:45:23 -0400

Beth, they've done that? What a relief -- we used to go nuts over the irony
of that statement! Frankly, though, I find the corrected version (I always
wanted to use "except for this sentence, this page is intentionally blank.")
even funnier!

I worked in defense contracting for a bunch of years, and we had a door
mis-delivered to our office suite one time -- it should have been delivered
to another floor. But the paperwork said to leave it with us, so here we
were, with an unfinished door propped in the hall. For WEEKS and WEEKS. I
began putting signs on it: "Emergency Exit," "Do not enter," that kind of
thing. They got more and more elaborate over time. I began calling for
catalogues of industrial signs, to get ideas. People would come ask me when
I was going to change the sign again. It was quite a hobby for a while.

Finally, I changed locations -- my final sign on the mystery door read:
THIS DOOR INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK.

I still laugh over that one....

Okay, but seriously -- I think that it is a little disconcerting to have a
completely blank page at the end of a chapter -- I am resolving that without
stooping to the "intentionally blank" level by simply dropping the corporate
logo in the center of the blank page. It gets the message across,
reenforces the corporate image, and even looks kinda nice!

-Rebecca