Re: Interview from hell

Subject: Re: Interview from hell
From: Hedgehog Communications <hedgecom -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:20:21 -0700

William J. Wolfe writes:

Just a suggestion:
There's no law that says you can't call one of your
interviewers and ask -- straightforwardly -- why you
were not selected.

----
This worked for me several years ago, but since the
advent of voice mail, it's nearly impossible to even
reach the person. And then they are reluctant to tell
you anything for fear of lawsuits.

I had dozens and dozens of interviews as a freelancer,
and only ONE person returned my call/e-mail and gave
me a straight-forward answer. Others avoided me or
gave generic answers like they found someone "better
suited." Even when I asked in what way, or whether
they had tips in how I could approve my presentation,
they would not give specifics, saying everything about
me was just great. Um, yeah.

I think many hiring decisions are made based on "gut
feel" and intangible qualities which are hard to
explain/justify.

===
Monica Milla
Hedgehog Communications