Re: Punctuation Tips (not that you need them!)

Subject: Re: Punctuation Tips (not that you need them!)
From: "Sonja Waller (SWUS)" <Sonja -dot- Waller -at- SMALLWORLD-US -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:57:20 -0600

Doug,
I read your post with great interest. Before I became a technical writer, I
was an editor and then communications director for the publishing industry.
Our "Bible" was the AP Stylebook. (In fact, we called it the Bible.) Some
other editors used the Chicago Style. However, the common thread was that
all word usage and punctuation questions were deferred to those great tools.
In my opinion, because journalists use those great tools, writing
consistency is adhered to more closely. I have never worked with a senior
editor who did not refer to stylebooks during the review process.

One of my greatest pet peeves in technical writing is that very few writers
adhere to proven stylebooks. Everyone seems to do their own thing. I don't
think that's good for the industry. I believe several stylebooks are
excellent. I use A Style Guide for the Computer Industry by Sun Technical
Publications.

I write this with great hesitance because I know someone will take offense.
That is not my intent. My intention to call to the industry to standardize
word usage and punctuation.

Sonja Waller
Sr. Technical Writer
Smallworld Systems, Inc.
Communications Business Unit

TEL: 303.268-6163
FAX: 303.779-9945

Email:
sonja -dot- waller -at- smallworld-us -dot- com