Re: Punctuation tips (not that you need them!)

Subject: Re: Punctuation tips (not that you need them!)
From: "Sonja Waller (SWUS)" <Sonja -dot- Waller -at- SMALLWORLD-US -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:54:20 -0600

I would need to research that question, but I believe we have more
commonalties in style, regardless of the industry, than we think. I still
believe that life is easier when a writer can refer to a good stylebook.

Stylebooks are not simply for spelling and punctuation. I refer to it for
many reasons. Here's the TOC of my preferred stylebook: understanding style,
working with an editor, working with illustrations, writing for an
international audience, legal guidelines, mechanics of writing, technical
abbreviations, acronyms, and units of measurement, constricting text,
indexing, recommended reading, developing a publications department,
checklists and forms. As you can see, it covers a broad spectrum of topics.
I find it hard to believe a writer would not benefit from the information.

I certainly am not wanting to fight with anyone, and I am not being
critical. I am simply asking for standardization.

Sonja Waller
Sr. Technical Writer
Smallworld Systems, Inc.
Communications Business Unit

TEL: 303.268-6163
FAX: 303.779-9945

Email:
sonja -dot- waller -at- smallworld-us -dot- com