Re: Contract work for the first time . . .

Subject: Re: Contract work for the first time . . .
From: Christine Pellar-Kosbar <chrispk -at- MERIT -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:45:26 -0400

Peter, I don't think there is any form you need to fill out. I freelanced for
three years without filling out any forms.

Set aside about half the money you make for taxes or have that money taken out
of your normal paycheck. Remember, you are paying your own Social Security as
well as income tax. Then, when you fill out your taxes, include the money you
made freelancing. (You'll get a tax form from your client listing how much you
made.)

I don't think you need to do anything special except make sure you have the
right equipment and enough time to do a good job.

cpk

Peter Lucas wrote:

> I just got a call from a friend who is a programmer for a large corporation,
> and he told me they need someone to pick up where a previous tech writer had
> left off (he quit suddenly) and finish up some documentation. There is a
> possibility that if they like my work, this will open the door for other
> projects.
>
> I've never done anything like this before. I've always been an 8-5, in-house
> tech writer. I'm sure this large corporation won't let me do this "under the
> table" so to speak, so can anyone give me advice or point me to some
> resources on how to get started doing contract work? I've seen many of you
> in the past refer to various forms and whatnot that you need to do contract
> work, but I didn't save any of the info. I never thought I'd be doing
> contract work. But this has kind of fallen in my lap, and the money is too
> good to ignore.
>
> I don't plan on quitting my current job. I would just be doing this on the
> side.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Peter Lucas
>
> p.s. I live in California if that makes a difference
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=