Re: Word 97 - TOC and page numbers

Subject: Re: Word 97 - TOC and page numbers
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:20:31 -0500

At 01:58 PM 6/4/99 -0400, Debbie Packer wrote:
>I am creating a small help booklet using Microsoft Word and these page
>numbers are driving me crazy!
>
>No cover pages are included in this document. It simply starts with the
>Table of Contents, which is two pages. The third page is the actual
>beginning of my booklet. I would like to begin my page numbering on page
>three and call it page 1. However, when I add the page numbers, Word insists
>on the following:
>
>TOC page 1 - no page number
>TOC page 2 - page 2
>Book page 1 - page 1
>Book page 2 - page 2
>etc.
>
>Does anyone know of a way around this? Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

This one's an easy fix, though it has a couple of parts.

First of all, I assume you want no page numbers in the TOC.

1. Put your cursor in the TOC section.
2. Choose File|Page Setup. Select the Layout Tab.
3. If "Different first page" is checked, uncheck it. Press Okay.
4. Choose View|Header and Footer.
5. On the header/footer toolbar, click on the Switch icon to take you to
the footer.
6. Remove the page number field code.

Then, you want to fix the page numbers in the main book section.

1. Put your cursor in the second section. (This is important. Do not just
have the section you want to work on in view; you need to actually have the
cursor clicked in it.)
2. Choose View|Header and Footer.
3. On the header/footer toolbar, click on the Switch icon to take you to
the footer.
4. Check to make sure the "Same as Previous" button on the toolbar isn't
depressed. If it is, unlink this section from the previous one.
5. If you previously inserted a page number using the "Insert Page Numbers"
feature, delete the little frame with the page number.
6. Create a location for a page number where you want it (using tabs or
margin adjustment). Leave your cursor in this location.
7. Click the "Insert Page Number" icon on the header toolbar. This will
insert the field code for the page number.
8. Choose Insert|Page Numbers.
9. Click Format.
10. Click the "Start at" radio button, and type in "3."
11. Click Okay.
12. Click Close. DO NOT click Okay at this screen!
13. Close the header window.

You should be all set! It only takes a few seconds to do, once you have
the hang of it.

--
Beth Friedman
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com